FOR WHAT GRADE SHOULD I REGISTER MY CHILD?
Summer camps are open to all students who will enroll in grades K-12 in fall 2017. Students must be placed into classrooms based on the grade they will be entering in the fall. Please note that WITS performs age checks prior to the first day of camp.
WILL MY CHILD BE IN A MULTI-AGE OR MULTI-GRADE CLASSROOM?
Multi-age and multi-grade classrooms take place with some camp classrooms. Although we try our best to keep classrooms confined to one grade level, WITS reserves the right to place students in a multi-age or multi-grade classroom based on enrollment.
CAN I REQUEST THAT MY CHILD BE IN A CLASS WITH A FRIEND?
WITS + Rice Creative Writing Camp families may request a student be placed in a class with another student, and we will try our best to honor that request.
DO YOU HAVE AFTER CARE OR BEFORE CARE?
DO YOU PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION?
WITS does not provide transportation. If you are interested in carpooling with other parents, you may indicate this when you register your child. Your information will then be shared with other parents as we near the start of camp.
IS THIS CAMP JUST LIKE SCHOOL?
Summer camp provides a unique setting in which children can learn the power of words, gain practice in self-expression, and expand their creativity while having fun. Hesitant writers bloom in the supportive environment as they experience different ways of writing and develop the confidence to think of themselves as writers. Children who already see themselves as authors develop new skills, stretch their creativity, and enjoy inspiration and mentoring from professional writers.
WHAT IS THE STUDENT-TEACHER RATIO?
Each class is taught by a professional writer and has 18-20 students per class. WITS + Rice Creative Writing Camp typically includes a classroom teacher with a ratio of 1 teacher to 10 students.
WHAT DOES MY CHILD NEED TO BRING TO CAMP?
Prior to camp you will be emailed details on everything your child needs to bring to camp on their first day. Typically students are asked to bring a notebook, folder, and a pencil.
WILL MY CHILD GET BREAKS DURING THE DAY?
Playtime is critically important for children, helping them perform their best. Each class has a break during the day, allowing time for students to play outside. Students can bring snacks or a lunch that can be eaten during this break.
ARE THERE DEADLINES AND REFUNDS FOR CANCELLATIONS?
If you are enrolling your child in the WITS + Rice Creative Writing Camp, you have read and understand the following cancellation and refund policy:
If you are enrolling your child in the WITS + UHD Writing Camp, please visit the UHD website for information on their cancellation and refund policy. If you are enrolling your child in the WITS + Duchesne camp please call 281-726-2799 for cancellation and refund information.
WHAT IF MY CHILD CANNOT ATTEND THE FULL SESSION?
Summer camp is an intensive writing workshop, and participation is important for student success. There is no prorating of tuition for students who cannot attend the full schedule of classes.
WHAT PAYMENTS ARE ACCEPTED?
Payments should be made online, using a credit card. A confirmation email with be sent following registration, with more details arriving closer to camp. Please do not mail payments, as we cannot guarantee your spot will still be available during transit time. No payment plans are available, and the full tuition is due at the time of registration.
- WITS + Rice: Payments should be made via the Creative Writing Camp registration page. If you prefer to not submit payments online, you may print your registration form and bring your payment in person to the WITS office or pay by phone, 713.523.3877.
- WITS + UHD: Payments should be made via the UHD website. If you prefer to not submit payments online, please contact 713.221.8032 for more information.
- WITS + Duchesne: Payments should be made via the Duchesne Academy website. If you prefer to not submit payments online, please contact 713.468.8211, ext. 200 for more information.
ARE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
The Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented provides scholarships for interested students.
DOES THE COST DIFFER BASED ON THE CAMP?
- WITS + Rice: Cost TBD
- WITS + UHD: Cost TBD
- WITS + Duchesne: Heart of the Summer: Cost TBD
WHAT DOES MY CHILD GET FOR THEIR TUITION?
- WITS + Rice: Students receive 40 hours of high-quality classroom instruction over two weeks with real authors and professional teachers, a printed publication or portfolio of student’s best writing, a classroom reading or performance, and a Creative Writing Camp t-shirt.
- WITS + UHD: Students receive 35 hours of high-quality classroom instruction over one week with real authors, a portfolio of student’s best writing, and a classroom reading or performance.
- WITS + Duchesne: Students receive 30 hours of high-quality classroom instruction over two weeks with real authors, a portfolio of student’s best writing, a classroom reading or performance, and a DASH into Summer t-shirt.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY CHILD IS PUT ON A WAIT LIST?
If all spaces are filled, your application will be put on a waiting list. WITS will hold on to your application during this time. In the event there is a cancellation and space becomes available, you will be notified to see if you are still interested in the program. You will not pay for the class until you have confirmed.
DO YOU OFFER CAMPS OR WORKSHOPS AT OTHER TIMES?