WITS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on any grounds protected under federal, state or local law, including race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or disability.
WITS is looking for writers and educators who can teach the joy of creative writing to young people. Employment is part-time, typically a half-day of teaching one day a week from September–May. A yearlong commitment is required. The pay is $60 per teaching hour. In addition to teaching, the job duties include preparing lessons, responding to student work, and compiling anthologies of student writing at the end of the school year. We look for writers with teaching or mentoring experience who can convey their passion for the written word in ways that are relevant for Houston area children. In particular, we are seeking bilingual writers, but others are encouraged to apply as well.
We accept applications year round, and we anticipate a new round of hiring in spring 2017 for our summer camps.
To apply, please complete our application. In addition to the application, we require a cover letter, résumé with 3 references, and a 10-page writing sample. You may upload these documents via the application, email them to us at email@example.com, or mail them to WITS: 1523 W Main Street, Houston, TX, 77006.
Apply Now »
Writers in the Schools (WITS) seeks a Communications Intern for spring 2017 to support the Development/ Communications department. This position requires a thoughtful, dedicated individual with strong writing and communication skills and a passion for nonprofit causes. This internship will provide experience in event planning and logistics, professional writing and communications, nonprofit marketing, and administrative support. A high school degree is required; some college is preferred. This internship is paid, part-time (~6 hours per week) and will end in June. Ideal candidates will have the following skills:
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office
- Ability to manage deadlines
- Organized and energetic, passionate about creativity in education, and enthusiastic about taking on challenges.
- Ability to work as a cooperative team member.
- Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to tell the WITS story in a meaningful and compelling way.
Applications due Friday, March 17th. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Alyssa Hartgrove at firstname.lastname@example.org, 1523 W Main St, Houston, TX 77006.
Volunteer Intern Positions
Writers in the Schools (WITS) is looking for interns to serve as summer camp teaching assistants. Interns will work in a variety of areas, gaining experience in creative writing instruction, early childhood education, nonprofit administration, and arts education.
Each summer, Writers in the Schools and the School Literacy and Culture Project at Rice University sponsor Creative Writing Camp (CWC). More than 1,300 children in grades K-12 participate in CWC where they write stories, poetry, essays, and plays in a fun and supportive environment.
The internships (part-time, unpaid) will begin June 1, 2017.
Internship duties include:
- Assisting in creative writing classrooms
- Designing and delivering lessons
- Offering feedback to students on their writing
- Assisting younger children with dictation
- Working with small groups of students who need extra or advanced assistance
- Assisting in setting up arts/crafts projects
- Assisting in anthology preparation
- Observing best practices surrounding classroom teaching
Benefits for interns:
- Interns will gain work experience and classroom experience
- Interns will gain experience in nonprofit administration
- Internship will serve as a networking opportunity for interns to meet colleagues in creative writing, education, literary arts, and nonprofit fields
- Interns will build their résumés
- Upon successful completion of an internship with CWC, WITS will serve as a reference and will provide letters of recommendation
To apply please complete the online application.
Apply Now »