WITS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on any grounds protected under federal, state or local law, including race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or disability.
Writers in the Schools (WITS) is looking for interns to serve as summer camp teaching assistants. Interns will work in a variety of areas, gaining experience in creative writing instruction, early childhood education, nonprofit administration, and arts education.
Each summer, Writers in the Schools and the School Literacy and Culture Project at Rice University sponsor Creative Writing Camp (CWC). More than 1,300 children in grades K-12 participate in CWC where they write stories, poetry, essays, and plays in a fun and supportive environment.
The internships (part-time, unpaid) will begin June 1.
Internship duties include:
- Assisting in creative writing classrooms
- Designing and delivering lessons
- Offering feedback to students on their writing
- Assisting younger children with dictation
- Working with small groups of students who need extra or advanced assistance
- Assisting in setting up arts/crafts projects
- Assisting in anthology preparation
- Observing best practices surrounding classroom teaching
Benefits for interns:
- Interns will gain work experience and classroom experience
- Interns will gain experience in nonprofit administration
- Internship will serve as a networking opportunity for interns to meet colleagues in creative writing, education, literary arts, and nonprofit fields
- Interns will build their résumés
- Upon successful completion of an internship with CWC, WITS will serve as a reference and will provide letters of recommendation
To apply please complete the online application. Deadline to apply is May 21st.
Apply Now »
WITS is no longer accepting applications at this time, but check back in the summer for our next round.