Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
An initiative of Writers in the Schools (WITS), the Youth Advisory Council (YAC) provides a space for young literary leaders ages 13-19 to create city-wide programs that enrich and expand Houston’s writing community. Interested in joining? Check back this fall to apply!
Call for Submissions: Ultraviolet Zine
Calling all student visual artists and writers, aged 13-19 in the Houston area! Writers in The Schools Youth Advisory Council and Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s Teen Council are collaborating to curate Ultraviolet, a zine for youth, by youth.
This theme of our first issue of Ultraviolet is COLOR. Need some direction? Let the following guiding questions pique your inspiration!
• What brings color into your life?
• What does color mean to you?
• Are there ideas you associate with certain colors?
• What makes something colorful?
• What lacks color in your life?
• How does writing capture color in a way visual art never could?
• How does visual art capture color in a way writing never could?
• How do you relate color and emotion?
• What does color trigger within you?
• For writing: Submit up to 4 pages of poetry or prose (fiction or nonfiction will be accepted). Your name and contact information should be included on each page of your submission.
• For art: We will accept photography and visual art including sculpture and art in various media. Please submit a clear photograph or scan of your work. If your piece is chosen, we will take high-resolution photographs for print in the final zine.
Deadline to submit is March 24th. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.