WITS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on any grounds protected under federal, state or local law, including race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or disability.
Writers in the Schools (WITS) is looking for interns to serve as summer camp teaching assistants. Interns will work in a variety of areas, gaining experience in creative writing instruction, early childhood education, nonprofit administration, and arts education.
Each summer, Writers in the Schools and the School Literacy and Culture Project at Rice University sponsor Creative Writing Camp (CWC). More than 1,300 children in grades K-12 participate in CWC where they write stories, poetry, essays, and plays in a fun and supportive environment.
The internships (part-time, unpaid) will begin May 29th.
Internship duties include:
- Assisting in creative writing classrooms
- Designing and delivering lessons
- Offering feedback to students on their writing
- Assisting younger children with dictation
- Working with small groups of students who need extra or advanced assistance
- Assisting in setting up arts/crafts projects
- Assisting in anthology preparation
- Observing best practices surrounding classroom teaching
Benefits for interns:
- Interns will gain work experience and classroom experience
- Interns will gain experience in nonprofit administration
- Internship will serve as a networking opportunity for interns to meet colleagues in creative writing, education, literary arts, and nonprofit fields
- Interns will build their résumés
- Upon successful completion of an internship with CWC, WITS will serve as a reference and will provide letters of recommendation
To apply please complete the online application. Deadline to apply is May 17th.Apply now
WITS is no longer accepting applications at this time. Please check back summer 2019 for our next round.
Request for Proposal (RFP) for Video Production
Project Overview: This RFP is for videographer services to produce a compelling, fresh informational video about WITS for the purpose of general marketing and to include in grants as a digital attachment. WITS has been rapidly expanding, reaching 57,000 students and educators each year through creative writing, digital storytelling, performance poetry, and professional development. Now, we employ over 200 local writers to collaborate with classroom teachers in over 100 schools and 10 school districts. We also offer programs to hospitals, shelters, and other community sites to provide free creative writing workshops to give all children a voice. Our teen programming includes a paid youth leadership council (Bayouth Collective), a youth slam team (Meta-Four Houston) and Houston Youth Poet Laureate program, and several free workshops. The video must reflect our dynamic, growing programs and their impact on Houston’s youth. It will highlight our innovative teaching, extensive reach, and passionate team members.
How to apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following attachments:
- A CV or resume
- Three samples of edited video work (no longer than 10 minutes each, cropped videos are okay)
- A proposed budget including all costs and material fees.