WITS is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on any grounds protected under federal, state or local law, including race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or disability.
Writers in the Schools (WITS) seeks an Accounting Manager to play a key role on our team. This position requires a thoughtful, dedicated individual with strong nonprofit accounting and finance management skills. WITS is seeking an experienced professional who takes initiative; can manage multiple projects; meet deadlines; connect with clients, staff, the Board of Directors, and vendors; and work both independently and as part of a team. This position will fuel educational change, bringing creativity and literacy to 65,000 children and teachers annually.
- 3-5 years in nonprofit accounting/fund accounting experience
- Experience in cash receipts, A/P, A/R, posting journal entries, and payroll
- Advanced computer skills
- Knowledge of the audit process
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business management, finance, or related field; or
- Equivalent relevant professional experience
- Effectively and efficiently use accounting software and database applications (MIP Accounting and Salesforce database experience preferred)
- Work independently and manage workload and deadlines with minimal guidance
- Highly organized and energetic, passionate about creativity in education, and enthusiastic about taking on challenges
- A cooperative team member
- Maintain strict confidentiality about requests and donor information
The Accounting Manager is responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting, and reporting activities:
- Lead all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll
- Ensure the organization has the systems and procedures in place to support transparent, effective, and efficient fiscal accountability
- Ensure accurate tracking of restricted and unrestricted funds in line with GAAP best practices
- Maintain internal controls for receipts of revenue, expenses, reimbursements, and other processes as needed
- Create and deliver reports and presentations to the board and senior leadership team, including cash flow statements, balance sheets, year-end summaries, and grant budget reports
- Oversee the collection of data and information for use in financial statement reports
- Supervise budget planning
- Coordinate both internal and external audit processes and make operational adjustments based on the results of those audits
- Work in tandem with the Development team to prepare grant reports and financial statements
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings, as well as the organizational Form 990
- Manage employee benefits (insurance, 403b retirement plan, etc.), including enrollment processes
- Attend and deliver reports at all Board of Directors meetings and Executive Committee meetings, as well as serve as staff liaison for the Finance and Administration Committee
About the Position
The Accounting Manager reports to the Associate Director and the Executive Director. The position is full-time (40 hours/week), with some evening and weekend events, and the position is classified as exempt. This is a full-time role based at our Houston office. Work is currently mostly remote due to COVID19.
Salary range for this position is $55,000-$60,000 annually. WITS offers a competitive compensation package with benefits, including medical, dental, and vision packages, paid vacation and holidays, a generous optional retirement plan, and a fast-paced, collaborative, and friendly work environment.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé addressed to Jack McBride at firstname.lastname@example.org.