Thank you for celebrating National Poetry Month with Writers in the Schools. It has been a huge month for WITS and for poetry in Houston. We have just concluded our first poetry contest in partnership with KPRC Local 2 and our two winners will read their poems to air for Mother’s Day. GONZO247 created a stunning visual of a WITS student’s poem, downtown at GreenStreet, and it was completed on Earth Day. An editorial in praise of National Poetry Month by our executive director, Robin Reagler, was published in the Sunday Houston Chronicle.
If you enjoyed reading poems by WITS students during National Poetry Month, here are some options for staying in the WITS loop throughout the year:
- Like or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Subscribe to the WITS blog or join our mailing list.
- Send your children to our Creative Writing Camp this summer.
- Support young authors as they share original work at the Young Writers Reading at the MenilFest on Saturday, May 3rd, at 12 PM.
- Make a donation and keep the Writers in the Schools programs reaching as many Houston children as possible!
May creativity spur you onward each and every day. Happy May!
We would like to thank H-E-B Tournament of Champions, Copy.com, The City of Houston through the Houston Arts Alliance, and Texas Commission on the Arts for sponsoring Poem a Day. A very special thanks goes to KPFT 90.1 FM, Johnston Middle School for the Performing and Visual Arts, Principal Wenden Sanders, his students, and teachers, and producer Susan Phillips for producing and featuring the poems on the radio each weekday.