If you enjoyed reading poems by WITS students during National Poetry Month, here are some options for staying in the WITS “loop” throughout the year:
- “Like” the WITS page on Facebook or follow us on twitter for the latest news and invitations to all our public events and performances.
- Subscribe to the WITS blog or join our mailing list.
- Send your children to our creative writing camp this summer.
- Join our free writing program for grades 2-8 every Saturday morning at Discovery Green.
- Attend the Meta-Four Space City Grand Slam poetry competition on Saturday, May 11th at the HPL Central Library Plaza at 10 AM.
- Support young authors as they share original work at The Watchful Eye reading at the Menil Collection on Thursday, May 23rd, at 7 PM.
- If you’d like to make a donation to keep the Writers in the Schools programs reaching as many Houston youth as possible, please click here.
We would like to thank the City of Houston through the Houston Arts Alliance and the Texas Commission on the Arts for sponsoring A Poem a Day 2013. Thanks to H-E-B for sponsoring poetry displays in H-E-B Montrose and Buffalo Speedway Markets.
Organizations distributing poetry bookmarks: Agora Coffee, Amy’s Ice Cream, Andy’s Café, Antidote Café, Art Car Museum, Barnevelder, Beavers, Berry Hill, Bohemeo’s Coffee, Brazilian Arts Foundation, British Isles, Buffalo Exchange, Cactus, Cafe Brasil, Canyon Creek, Catalina’s Coffee, Cedar Creek Café, Chocolate Bar, Copy.com, Costumes and Dancewear, Crickets Café, Croissant Brioch, Crowne Plaza Hotel, District 7 Grill, DiverseWorks, Double Tree Hotel, Dry Creek Café, El Meson, Empire Café, Epicure Café, Episcopal High School, Field of Greens, FIT Athletic Club, Four Seasons, Freebirds, FrenetiCore, Half Price Books, Hilton Hotel, Hobby Center, Hotel ICON, Houston Artists’ Collective, Houston Arts Alliance, Houston Community College, Houstonian Hotel, Hyatt Regency, Java Java Café, Jewish Community Center, Khon’s, Lancaster Hotel, Leapin’ Leotards, Lola Restaurant, Main St. Theater, Menil Bookstore, NiaMoves (Pecore), Onion Creek Café, Pie in the Sky, Project Row houses, Renaissance Hotel, Retropolis, Salento Coffee, SPA at Jones Hall, Star Pizza, Stages, Swirl, Tacos A GoGo, Talento Bilingue de Houston, Teahouse Beverage, Te House of Tea, Treebeards, University of Houston, Visitors Center, Waldo’s Coffee House, Warren’s Café, Westin Hotel, Westin Oaks Hotel, West University Dance Center, Wortham Center, and 59 Diner.A very special thanks goes to the staff at KPFT 90.1 FM, Johnston Middle School for the Performing and Visual Arts Principal Wenden Sanders, his students, staff and teachers, and producer Susan Phillips for featuring the poems on the radio each weekday. Thank you also to KUHF for having WITS students read their Houston inspired poems for the new radio show, Houston Matters.
May creativity spur you onward each and every day. Happy May!