The Houston Youth Poet Laureate program is joint initiative of Writers in the Schools, the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs, and the Houston Public Library, with support from Urban Word NYC, the Academy of American Poets, Poetry Society of America, PEN Center USA, and Penmanship Books. The Houston Youth Poet Laureate program aims to identify young writers and leaders who are committed to civic and community engagement, poetry and performance, human relations, diversity, and education across Houston. Youth voice and community engagement are vital for empowering young people to effect positive change. The Houston Youth Poet Laureate will have numerous opportunities and platforms to share their powerful voices, their leadership, and love of Houston.
- Prestigious title of Houston Youth Poet Laureate
- Multiple speaking engagements
- Mentorship from the Houston Poet Laureate
Requirements + Process
- Applicants must reside in Houston, TX.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 14-19 years old by application deadline.
- Applications must be submitted online by August 31st, 2022 at 11:59pm.
- A group of esteemed judges will choose five finalists who will take part in an interview on Saturday, September 30th, 2021. The winner will be honored at the Houston Poet Laureate Commencement Celebration: To be Announced.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted online through the following application link: